Due to the hardships brought on by the Depression, the number of parish families at St. Patrick’s dropped from 86 families in 1932 to 25 families in 1938. Not even the experienced hand of Monsignor Albert Mosler, who was next assigned to be pastor of St. Patrick, could save the parish. The parishioners had no money and could not meet interest payments, let alone reduce the principal on the debt. On Oct. 17, 1939, the church building was auctioned off! However, Bishop Kucera was not ready to give a parish up to bankruptcy. He asked bondholders to delay confirmation of the sale until he could check with one final source of help. Fortunately that source came through; Bishop Kucera was successful in securing notes from the A.C. Allyn Company of Chicago for $16,000. Parish prayers were answered. The church was returned to parish ownership.