St. Patrick’s parish was due to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 1943. However, sixty-one of its men were still off at war. A blue vigil light burned for their safe return. Because of their absence, and because the parish still had the $13,000 left to pay on the auction loan, the anniversary celebration was postponed until 1946. Bishop Kucera officiated at a Pontifical High Mass for the occasion, which the school children sang. A parish dinner followed, and then a short play was put on by the children that chronicled the parish history. The parish presented Father Piontkowski with a beautiful Gothic vestment as an expression of gratitude. It was indeed a major celebration: Father Piontkowski had accomplished his two main goals, reopening the school and retiring the parish debt.